Saturday, March 3, 2012

So Far, So Good

Hooray for small victories! Seth made it through the week without having a seizure, even though we are reducing his medication. We have noted some other changes with the med reduction, both good and bad. Although Seth is typically easily distracted and has difficulty focusing, we have seen an increase this week. This isn't unexpected, as his most recent EEG results showed electrical discharges in his brain occurring every 10 seconds. Without medication to decrease these impulses, it is likely that they have increased, which makes it hard to imagine trying to concentrate, learn and focus on tasks. Despite this, he managed to make it through the week and for that we are grateful.

One positive change from this reduction is that we have seen more of Seth's personality as it used to be before medication. With medication, Seth has become more serious and subdued, even sad and angry. This week we have seen more of the smiling, happy-go-lucky boy that we know and love. As I write this, I realize how much I have missed him and how sad it makes me. For the moment, I am just going to embrace the time we have and enjoy my old Seth.

No comments:

Post a Comment