One week from today, Seth and I will travel to Children's for his admission for long-term EEG monitoring. His stay could range from three to five days, depending on how quickly they are able to capture the information needed. The goal is for Seth to have at least one seizure during his stay so they can observe and evaluate information about what happens to Seth's brain when he has a seizure. In order to increase the chances that he will have seizures during his stay, we have a medication tapering schedule that we started tonight. The plan is to gradually decrease his medication each day this week, so that by the time he is admitted, he will be taking considerably less medication than normal in hopes of bringing on a seizure. They will also use sleep deprivation to try to induce seizure activity while he is hospitalized.
Logically I understand why this is necessary, but it's hard to withhold medication that I know Seth needs, and send him off to school knowing that he is at an increased risk and I can't protect him. My worrying gene is in high gear, and I'm sure it will be putting in plenty of overtime the next couple weeks. One of my fears is that he will start having more seizures this week, we will have to bump his meds back up, and then by the time we go for his admission they won't be able to record any seizure activity. Please say a prayer for Seth that all goes as planned and we can get the information we need to make the best decisions about his treatment.
No comments:
Post a Comment