Monday, March 12, 2012

It's a Monday

Seth had a good weekend and was excited to return to school today. I dropped the kids off at school this morning, went to work and was catching up with a coworker when I got a call from school, only 10 minutes after the start of school. Seth was having a seizure. I immediately went to school, arriving about 15 minutes later. He was asleep in the nurse's office by that time, and the nurse shared that he had a 4-5 minute seizure in the classroom. Even after the muscle contractions stopped, Seth continued to show signs of seizure, including eyes tracking back and forth beneath his eyelids and chewing mouth movements for several more minutes. This is commonly observed as Seth comes out of a seizure. The nurse helped me escort Seth out to my van, and I brought him home to rest and recover. He slept for most of the day, finally getting up mid-afternoon.

I consulted the neurologist, and again we are increasing one of his bedtime meds to attempt to control these breakthrough seizures. I was also informed that they are scheduling a PET scan, possibly as early as next week. The PET scan will help to further pinpoint where in the brain the seizures are originating. Scheduling this is a good sign, because it means that Seth has not yet been ruled out as a surgical candidate - another small victory.

Seth's seizure today happened in the classroom, in front of his classmates. I can't help but think this must have been a scary experience for many of them, and for his teacher. I know that they were concerned whether Seth was okay and were reassured that he was. I do worry that he might be teased or made fun of for his condition by a few who are not so kind and compassionate. He is such a kind-hearted boy, and I know it would crush him. So not only do I pray for relief for my child's physical condition, I also pray for acceptance.

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest an idea? Well I will even with out your reply. What if you were to educate Seth's classmates about seizures and how they can affect kids and adults. This may put them at ease and have the knowledge to know what and why this happened. The goal being, they understand more with what is going on and will not give him a hard time upon his return?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have intended to do this, but guess this makes it a little more urgent. One more thing I can check off my list!

    ReplyDelete