Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Success = Relief

Feeling VERY thankful that we were able to record a seizure today! Yesterday afternoon we were informed that we would try sleep deprivation last night in an attempt to induce seizure activity. I had to keep Seth awake until midnight, which was a bit of a task, as his normal bedtime is 8pm. We are fairly strict about bedtime for him, knowing that lack of sleep can make him more prone to seizures. Seth was definitely ready for sleep when midnight rolled around, and he slept relatively soundly until we were awakened by the nurse at 5am. Then it was my job to keep Seth awake.

Not being a morning person myself, and already dealing with less sleep than normal, this was a struggle. Thankfully we did it and it paid off! Shortly after 8am, Seth had a two minute seizure. It was a typical seizure that we normally see with Seth, starting with his body stiffening, loss of consciousness and muscle contractions. The seizure was captured via EEG and video and the hospital staff was wonderfully competent and responsive. We hear that his neuro team is very excited! Even though I feel so helpless and heartbroken watching Seth have a seizure, I can't deny that I felt a huge sense of relief that we were able to document an episode.

After a seizure, Seth's body is totally exhausted. Today he slept off and on for several hours afterward and then was still tired and subdued until mid-afternoon. He complained of a headache afterward as well, which is normal for him as his body recovers. By late afternoon, his spunk had returned and I could tell he was feeling better. I know that the prayers and medical interventions are working, and am very encouraged. Thank you for keeping Seth and our family in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment