Monday, October 22, 2012

Goodbye Mohawk

Over the last several weeks, we have been busy trying to get back to our regular lives. Seth continues to heal and is doing very well. He started back to school about a week ago and has been going partial days. Friday was his first full day back and he seems to be tolerating it well. He continues to wear out faster than usual and is still sleeping a bit more than normal, but his stamina is gradually increasing each day. Life certainly does go on, and Saturday felt somewhat symbolic as we headed to the barber and said goodbye to Seth's mohawk. His hair is growing back and although his incision is somewhat more visible with his new haircut, he looks healthy and strong and more adorable than ever. Most importantly, he has remained seizure free.

Seth had his follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon and his incision is healing very well. He continues to have some fluid and swelling on the left side of his head at the surgical site, but we are told this could remain for weeks, even up to a couple of months. Until the swelling resolves, Seth is unable to participate in gym class or any type of sport activities. He is at the point in his recovery when he feels well enough to be more active, and is frustrated by the things he is not permitted to do. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until he can fully participate in activities.

While Seth has been recovering, I have felt like I've been going through a sort of recovery process myself. I have had some difficult days as I have returned to work and back to day to day life. I have struggled to deal with the disappointment from not being able to complete the resection, with no relief from the worry or hyper-vigilance we have lived with for so long. I have mourned for what could have been. While we knew going into it there were no guarantees, we were so hopeful that this was the answer we had been searching for. Today I can say that each day is a little better, each week better than the last. I feel like I am emerging on the other side, and I know that we will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment